1. Prep the eyelid by applying a primer–this will give you a fresh surface to work with and will prevent your eyeshadow from melting into the crease of your eyelid throughout the day. It provides a matte finish that keeps oil from surfacing and tarnishing your perfected look. A great primer is Smashbox PhotoFinish Lid Primer, $20 at Sephora. If you do not have a primer, instead apply a light shade of concealer or foundation over your lids, along with a brush of powder to finish it. Mineral makeup foundation is also great.
2. Apply black pencil eyeliner on the inside line of the upper and lower lid, carefully edging into the lash line. Next, line the outside of the upper lid with liquid or pencil liner, increasing the line’s thickness slightly in the middle towards the outer end of your eyelid. This begins the effect of opening your eyes giving them a more exotic appearance.
3. Smudge eyeliner onto the bottom lashes, use dark shadow for a more intense effect–a key aspect of the smokey eye look and enhances it’s dramatic appeal. Smudge beneath the lower lash using your fingertip, Q-tip, or smudge brush as if to create a fading away of the dark from your eyes.
4. Apply a light base colour to your lashlid up to the browbone— use a light cream or shimmery eyeshadow base with a medium eyeshadow brush. This will create a highlighting effect that will better pronounce your smokey eye and define it. Taupe, pearl, and golden accents are great. Also, blend your highlighting colour into the corners of your eyelids for an added effect.
5. Apply dark colour below the crease line–beginning at the lash line blend in your dark colour with an eyeshadow brush, enough so that your eyeliner fades into the dark eyeshadow. Keep blending upwards up until you reach the crease of your eyelid having it mix smoothly with the light base shadow.
6. Blend, blend, blend! –so important because you never want your eyes to look rigid or imbalanced. For flawless eyes you must make use of this final technique and also make sure both eyes are even.
7. Apply 2 coats of mascara–finally to finish off your glamorous look apply too coats of mascara for extra thickness and darkness. Make sure to use a lash curler first for volume and try heating it with your blowdryer for an extra-strength curl.
Note: When you opt for the smokey eye look it’s best to keep the lips nude to avoid looking overdone.
And…voila you now have the perfect smokey eye look!
If you are feeling playful, try using the smokey eye technique with some of these fun colours….