Aromatherapy is a powerful tool for stimulating (or in this case calming) the mind and body, especially when delivered in the form of a luxurious bath oil. This is an extremely simple, yet effective solution to a stressful day and you can make it yourself in just minutes! It’s also a very thoughtful gift idea 🙂
In this post I’ll show you how to easily make your own calming bath oil, using a only few ingredients that you can pick up from a natural health store or order them online through a wholesaler (which tends to run much cheaper than a store and you don’t have to order large quantities–I use New Direction Aromatics). You are basically using a blend of essential oils and diluting them in what is called a “carrier oil”. This is mandatory since essential oils are extremely concentrated plant extracts and could be toxic at certain levels. The blend of oils I chose also promote skin healing and rejuvenation, boost immune function, while even strengthening your hair and nails.
Another awesome benefit to making your own oil is that you won’t have to bathe in the preservatives and synthetic fragrances that are usually added to commercial oils. It’s just pure, natural goodness–and without the hefty price tag!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 4 oz of Carrier Oil: I chose Camellia Seed Oil because it will leave your skin silky smooth without any greasy feeling. Other great options are jojoba oil and almond oil.
- 100 Drops of Essential Oil: I chose equal drops (20 drops each) of lavender, tea tree oil, chamomile roman, cypress french, and ylang ylang.
- Rubbing Alcohol: you always want to sterilize the containers you are using when making a product.
- A few drops of Vitamin E (optional): this will extend the life of the oil.
- Dark Bottles (preferably glass): to store your bath oil–dark glass best preserves the oil and prevents it from going rancid.
- Pyrex Container: for mixing and measuring
Lavender Essential Oil–reduces anxiety, calms the mind, promotes healing of the skin, and reduces scarring.
Tea Tree Essential Oil–an immune stimulant, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal, prevents acne.
Chamomile Roman Essential Oil–soothes the mind, reduces stress, rejuvenates skin.
Cypress French Essential Oil–soothes and relaxes without any sedative properties.
Ylang Ylang Essential Oil–calms the nerves and has a sweet, exotic scent.
Camellia Seed Carrier Oil–leaves skin silky smooth without the greasy feeling, strengthens hair and nails, easily absorbed by your skin.
Vitamin E–a natural preservative, prevents oxidation of the oil as well as free radical damage of you skin when applied topically.
1. Sterilize your glass bottles on the inside as well as your utensils by spraying them with alcohol and allowing to dry.
2. Pour 4 ounces (or 100 ml) of your carrier oil (camellia seed oil) into a glass pyrex container. Then add your essential oils–20 drops each of the chosen essential oils (adding up to 100 drops of essential oil in total). You can choose more or less of the oils depending on what you’d like (or can find), just be sure to keep the ratio the same.
3. Stir the solution and then pour.
4. Make it pretty and rustic-looking by tying some raffia around the neck of the bottle. Tye the raffia in a bow and then simply trim the edges.
5. Voila! Enjoy your bath, gift it to a friend, or both! The solution is pretty powerful so you won’t need a large amount in your bath–a tbsp. should do it. You can also get creative and write up a nice tag for your finished product.
Happy Bathing! 🙂