• Packed with vitamin C, freshly squeezed lemonade is not only the ultimate summer refreshment, it is also a great liver detox! Harmful metals such as lead, mercury, and aluminum need to be flushed out of the body and lemons fuel this cleansing process, also acting as a laxative and diuretic (elevates the rate of urination, helping wash out out toxins).
• Provides detoxification of the bloodstream, supplying vitamins A and C, while also serving the healthy functioning of the colon, lungs, liver, kidneys, and spleen.
• An essential component of any detox, greens provide countless benefits, especially when eaten raw. The chlorophyll (i.e. the plant’s green pigment) aids the body in releasing environmental toxins, such as metals and pesticides, and simultaneously protecting the liver. In addition, the phytochemicals (naturally occurring chemical compounds in plants) increase blood flow to the liver and kidneys, thereby heightening the body`s ability to cleanse.
• Rich in catechin polyphenols, this steaming beverage not only acts as a powerful antioxidant, it has a number of critical health benefits. Green tea has been proven to lower LDL cholesterol (while increasing HDL [good] cholesterol), it attacks cancerous cells while leaving healthy tissue unaffected, contributes to weight loss, lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease, stimulates immune function, and battles against infection. Also, given its ability to destroy harmful bacteria, green tea prevents tooth decay and acts as a barrier against food poisoning as well.
• Eating fresh garlic (not powder) will cleanse the arteries and intestines dispelling harmful bacteria, viruses, yeasts, parasites, and any other harmful substances that have entered the body. Garlic also contains strong antioxidants, sulphur compounds, vitamin C, and flavonoids, which work together as an anti-cancer in its combat against free radicals. Moreover, garlic is cleansing for the respiratory tract, eliminating mucous build-up.
• Artichokes have long been utilized as an herbal remedy. Acts as a digestive aid, improves functioning of gall bladder, reduces accumulated fat on liver, and a diuretic.
• Abundant in minerals and chlorophyll, these delightful greens support healthy blood and circulation while activating and increasing the body’s own detox enzymes. Eliminate carcinogens and acts as another diuretic.
• The ultimate blood purifier and liver cleanser, this red vegetable aids the digestive process, while exciting the kidney’s and lymphatic system. Beets offer an abundant supply of potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, calcium, fibre, phytochemicals, and antioxidants.
• Researchers have discovered that a significant component of this nutritional veggie, namely Sulforaphane, releases detoxification enzymes in the body. However, it is important to obtain the broccoli sprouts as the content of Sulforaphane is 10-100 times higher than its mature counterpart.
• Berries are packed with antioxidants. All fruits contain acids, which are necessary for eliminating toxins from the bloodstream. Once the body is cleansed with fruit, the cells are clear and can function in harmony. Fruit also provides loads of strength and vitality!
Adapted from Joanne Carr, RH. Alive Health Magazine. June 2010