Facial cleansing is a pretty important part of my day–it’s the first thing I do in the morning and last thing I do before heading to bed. There are PLENTY of reasons why you should make it an integral part of your beauty routine (both morning and night) and why its important to choose a proper cleanser. It will remove dirt from your pores to avoid clogging, help to slough off dead skin cells and prevent acne, keep you looking young by boosting natural vitality, help prevent dehydration (with a milk cleanser), and encourage skin repair. Not to mention the therapeutic benefit of splashing clean water over your skin, which is thought to provide a fresh start to the day and cleanse away any negativity collected toward the day’s end.
Cleansing Milk vs. Foaming Cleanser
- Cleansing milks are different from foaming cleansers in that they offer that gentle yet deep cleansing, without aggressively stripping away your skin’s natural oils. They are a natural emulsion of oil and water and can be combined nicely with an exfoliating tool (i.e. light bristle brush, Clarisonic, etc.).
- On the other hand, foaming cleansers often contain harsh sulphates that are meant to provide that clean feeling, but actually result in a dis-balance to the healthy oils found on your skin. This can cause your skin to start overproducing oil to compensate (making it more prone to breakouts) and rely more on moisturizers as a way to rehydrate. Milk cleansers both cleanse and help maintain natural moisture.
Weleda Cleansing Milk
Weleda is a brand I’ve respected for awhile since they are committed to naturally cultivated ingredients, without any harmful additives. Their products are pure in quality, affordable, cruelty-free, non-GMO, and completely sustainable. Their ‘Gentle Cleansing Milk‘ in particular is pretty fantastic and made my morning/evening routines that much better. I found the product to be effective, refreshing, not greasy, and has a very subtle pleasant scent. I also found I didn’t require much product for my entire face, approximately a dime-sized amount. What’s more unique about this product is that it contains a ‘Biodynamic® iris root extract’, which is known for its incredible moisture-retaining & regulating properties and Organic jojoba seed oil–both helping to preserve that naturally hydrated skin balance.
How to Use a Cleansing Milk
- First, simply dampen your face with lukewarm water (not too hot as this can be damaging)
- Next, apply cleansing milk to face, neck and décolleté but avoiding the eye area
- Massage a small amount of the milk into your skin – breathing out as you sweep from the middle to the edge of your face, and feel tension leave your body (very therapeutic)
- Rinse off using warm water or an organic cotton pad
- Finally, pat your face, neck and décolleté dry with a soft towel (avoid harsh towel scrubbing which can make your skin more prone to wrinkling)
Note: Weleda’s Gentle Cleansing Milk can be used morning and night
Win a Year’s Supply!
To help kick-start your healthy spring cleansing, I’m giving away an entire year’s supply of the Weleda Gentle Cleansing Milk (six 100 mL bottles). Simple enter in the ‘Rafflecoptor’ box below. Good Luck! 🙂